In 1906 a group of Presbyterians who desired a church of their own denomination met in the Methodist church to discuss the possibilities of a united effort. Some belonged to the old school, some to the Southern Presbyterian Church, some to the Cumberland division of the church, but all agreed to unite with the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. and work together. On February 24, 1907, the Presbytery of Dallas officially chartered them. The 19 charter members were: Miss Sadie Miller, Mr. And Mrs. Jake Jackson, Mr. And Mrs. Jim Witherspoon., Mrs. John (Winnie) Hale, Mr. And Ms. C. V. Millar, Ms. Ruth Millar, Mrs. Bert Horn, Mr. And Mrs. A. T. Horton, Mr. Lee, Mrs. E. E. Hall, Dr. H. V. Copeland, Hix Jackson, Grover Jackson, and F. M. Harris. Initially, the group met in the Methodist church, which permitted them, the use of their facilities in the afternoons.
One of the field men of the mission board, Mr. McDowell, came and perfected the organization and made arrangements for Dallas pastors to preach to them. Among those who gave their services in the early years were: Dr. William Anderson, Sr., Dr. Curry, and Dr. Sneed. As the church began to grow, students from Trinity University served in the pulpit until the Rev. Mr. W. C. Barber was installed as the first regular pastor in December of 1911. In the same year, the congregation moved from the Methodist Church to a building built by the Grand Prairie Civic Club in order to be able to hold morning services. The building had a tin roof and a grass floor, which proved to be too warm for summer services. The church rented the Woodmen of the World Hall located at the corner of Jefferson and Center, which is the present site of Wyatt’s Cafeteria.
In 1912 under the leadership of Dr. W. C. Barber, the church built its first sanctuary at the corner of Center and Dallas Streets. The membership was still small, but with a donation from the Board of Missions and hard work it was paid for by the fall of 1989.
Soon the congregation felt the need to expand and plans were begun for a new sanctuary. The property was purchased at the corner of Northwest Second and Church Streets and a foundation were dug and poured, but due to the lack of funds, the building was never completed. This lack of funds was due to the fact that the contractor left town with the money. It wasn’t until 1929 that the church was able to rid itself of the debt incurred by this project. During the years of 1946 and 1947, the church went through a major division and the Presbytery investigated the pastor. In 1947, the pastor was asked to leave the church and the church came under the rule of the Presbytery. In 1952, Rev. R. W. Benton guided the church through a major fundraising project in order to build the sanctuary, as we know it today. The congregation voted to move to the corner of S.W. Third Street and erect a sanctuary and educational building, with the sanctuary being a tribute to James Edward Witherspoon and William Wallace Kerr. The present building was dedicated on December 7, 1952. The old building at the corner of Dallas and Center was sold. In 1971 a new educational wing was annexed to the sanctuary completing the present facilities. On October 31, 1976, the church rededicated the sanctuary and consecrated numerous gifts including stained glass windows, brass Latin cross, paneling, and paraments. The church burned all the notes outstanding on December 6, 1989, as well as rededicating the sanctuary and acknowledging the gifts of front doors to the sanctuary, stained glass windows, carpet, pew cushions, landscaping, and the addition of the Bride’s room.